If you’ve been thinking about volunteering but aren’t sure about what you could do to help others then we’re here to guide and support you!
Could we suggest an addition to your seasonal gift list this year? This one won’t involve a trip to the shops or burden your credit card but will make the world of difference to an older person, or persons, living in a residential care home in Essex and give you a lot of satisfaction in the process.
If you’ve been thinking about volunteering but aren’t sure about what you could do to help others then we’re here to guide and support you! We’re a charity with a simple aim: to improve the quality of life for our neighbours who can no longer live independently but still want to feel part of their local community and live life to the full. We’ve a number of roles on offer and you’ll be supported to find the right niche for your skills and personality. You don’t need to have a background in the care of older people as we’re looking for warm-hearted individuals who just want to make a difference. Here’s how you can help:
- We’re developing a network of Community Visitors who are volunteers who work in pairs to support a care home in their area. You’d get to know the residents and their families and carers providing an independent set of eyes and ears to help the home to build on its strengths and change what could be better. This would require about half a day a week of your time
- Helping us to publicise our advice line – we provide a professional telephone advice line, in partnership with Independent Age, and personal support for prospective residents and their families when they are facing choices about residential care. You could give as little as an hour a week for this, or as much as you wish
- Befriending residents in local care homes, particularly those who have no family or regular visitors. Again, this is flexible according to the time you have available
- Helping us to ensure that care home residents and their local communities are ‘in touch’ and utilising their talents for everyone’s benefit. We’re looking for people with a passion, for example, about gardening, knitting or singing who would like to share their talents and hobbies on a regular basis. Or you may belong to a club or group that would like to make a link with a local care home to connect with older people who can no longer get out and about to socialise
- Do you have any skills that could support the My Home Life Essex Community Association behind the scenes? For example, are you interested in IT; have you experience of working in the voluntary sector; producing newsletters or marketing?
Debbie Tanner, Development Officer, would love to chat with you about opportunities with MHLECA and she says:
Lots of people think about volunteering but some are unsure about what they have to offer. Our organisation is growing in communities across Essex so there’s a range of possibilities for anyone who wants to tackle isolation in their neighbourhood and make new friends. Drop me an email or call me on 0845 017 1095 and I can tell you more.